My oldest was out of school today for President’s Day…and it seems each week he has broken in ANOTHER pair of jeans…if you have a boy you know what I mean. Without fail, Parker-man seems to get a hole in the same knee after just a few weeks of wear. With a little brother below him, I’d really love for some of these old things to be passed down—so today’s craft was an attempt to do just that: patch the holes!
The kids had a blast helping! And although Laney doesn’t get holes in her jeans…she is convinced we now need to “decorate” hers as well. Here’s our before after and the steps to do this at home yourself:
FUN, huh?! I’m going to back tonight and do hand stitching over the patches just for cosmetic appeal and to make sure the patches last longer. But for now…we are pretty much patched. Here’s are the steps:
1. You will need to buy WonderUnder to iron on your fabric to fuse it to your clothing…I bought mine at Hobby Lobby in the fabric section.
2. Iron the WonderUnder onto your fabric (the rough side needs to be put on the back of your fabric). You will want to press this on the highest setting (cotton) to make sure all the sticky is melted onto your fabric.
3. Carefully peel the paper off your fabric. If it is melted properly, it should tear off in pieces…you want the webbing to be melted completely on the fabric. If it doesn’t come off right–simply iron it a bit longer and peel again.
4. Now you can cut your patches from the fused material. You can pin any shapes on to use as a pattern and then cut…Cut your patches and place them over holes and in different places for decoration.
5. Dampen a really thin piece of fabric (we used hankerchiefs) and place the damp clothe over the patches. Iron the patches on over the damp cloth—iron until the damp cloth is completely dry (approximately 15 seconds)…
6. Remove the damp cloth and you’re done! You can stitch around the patch by hand for looks and to better secure the patches in place.
We thought it’d be fun to do some on the back pockets also…
Here’s another upclose before and after…
AFTER…Pretty dramatic difference, huh?!
I’m an Auburn girl…so I’m always thinking of cute ways for my kiddos to sport my teams colors…WAR EAGLE;)
NOW…next up…is our t-shirt and turtlenecks with matching appliques! I bought several t’s at Target on the 70% rack…yes those are on sale right now. Of course plain red and blue t’s or polos would be adorable with these made-new jeans…but it’ll be fun to do a few Letter appliques just for fun.
Today’s reading is a long chapter in Numbers dictating the gifts that were brought to the Lord from the twelve tribes of Israel. Did you notice anything similar about each of the gifts??? THEY ARE THE EXACT SAME. The gifts were identical. BUT God took note of each gift, each leader, each tribe on each successive day. The fact that each are noted individually reminds me how the Lord loves and takes interest in each of us individually. Thank you Lord that I matter to you. And the reader sitting behind her computer…reading this…you care deeply, deeply for her too. Thank you Lord for your individual love!